Facts around Vättern
"Even blindfolded and without knowing where I befunne me, I would immediately be able to distinguish Vätterns wave splash from all the other lakes. "
It's Verner von Heidenstamsgatan own words about Vättern. The author lived for a long time Övralid, a known navigational mark for all seafarers in Sweden's second largest lake, second after Vänern, well to the surface (1893 km²) as to the volume (77,6 km3). Vättern is Europe's sixth largest lake. Identification “Vättern” comes from the word water. The average time a drop of water needs from the get there until it leaves Vättern, the so-called orbital period, is 62,5 years 2017.
The story around Vättern
Click the arrows to scroll between the localities: Motala, Mjölby / Skanninge, Vadstena, Ödeshög, Gränna, Visingsö, Jönkoping, Habo, Mullsjö, Tidaholm, Hjo, Karlsborg, Askersund
Motala means meeting place or shrine at the fork and was an early trade- and meeting place. During archaeological excavations at Motala Ström southern shore in central Motala has thousands of years of settlements from the Stone Age have been found. In the 1200s built a church on the north side of the river and parts of the building are found in today's church 1774. Gustav Vasa built a demesne of the stream south shore. When the canal was built 1810-1822 grew a variety of small communities along the canal. 1822 founded Baltzar von Platen a mechanical workshop in Motala, AB Motala, where eventually an industrial town gradually grew. 1823 was Motala friköping, also there at the suggestion of von Platen. The workshop grew quickly and in 1830 lived there more than 500 people in the area closest to the workshop, but only 75 in the market town. 1863 became Motala town municipality and year 1881 had to city status. Still was, however, most of the expansion in the area around the workshop. 1948 beat it together “workshop town” Motala with the town of Motala. 1927 Built in Motala broadcasting station (also called Orlunda radio transmitter).
Attractions: Charlottenborgs slott, The canal harbor and locks in Borenshult, old Motala, Motala Motor Museum, Sweden Rundradiomuseum, Varamobaden, Övralid, and Medevi well.
Mjölby / Skanninge
The Middle Ages still makes itself apparent in today's Skanninge the street network and hence its superficial size is almost the same. Church of Our Lady consecrated to Mary stands in the same place where it was built by the Germans and was completed 1306. Skanninge flourished during the Middle Ages and the House of Bjelbo who ruled the kingdom had his family estate Bjälbo few kilometers outside Skanninge. The royal family tried to get a strong control over the city and during this period held several important parliamentary sessions in Skanninge, including Skanninge meeting 1248. At the same time they dominated the influential Germans which represented around half of the city's population, including by erecting a statue – power symbol Signature Long on the main square. Today there is a new one statue residual 1989 of "Skänningeligan".
Skänninge medeltia town hall was where today's city hotel is now. Years 1421 disclosed Skanninge Hall first. The square was the city center and there were school, Town Hall and the church as well as several trading houses that belonged to the wealthiest merchants.
The Dominicans came to Skanninge during the 1200 century and the first half of the year 1237 Founded St. Olaf brödrakonvent and during the 1270s was founded S:take Ingrid's monastery and church.
Skanninge had short time received their two Dominican convention, and except for the two monasteries also a German church and the Swedish Allhelgonakyrkan, and a number of smaller chapel.
I 300 in the city led a languishing after the Reformation, it was only at the regular markets as the city lived up! Skanninge became eg the scene of the demonstration of Sweden's first elephant years 1806, but ticket prices were so high that Skanninge residents started the so-called Elephant riot! And the only other market day could calm restored with the help of requisitioned military! Nowadays, it has also a medieval land in September, besides traditional in August.
Skanninge city converted at the municipal 1862 to a city municipality. Municipality of expanded 1952 and amounted 1971 in the municipality of Mjölby.
An older version of the name is Mölloby, from the word mylna or Mölna, meaning “mill”. Given the rapids of Svartån and the fertile soil of the surrounding plain is Mjolby a natural place for mills. It has historically been many mills at these rapids. In the 1920s these were replaced water-powered mills with a large electric grinder. This was discontinued 2010 and closed the last epoch in Mjölby. The city showed a strong increase in population when the railway station was built and opened on 15 december 1873 and the city became industrialized.
Attractions: Skanninge Town Hall, Our Lady Church, Skanninge market and Mjölby Homestead, Högby stone and Skanska Sunglasses Houses
Vadstena was a stop on the pilgrimage to Trondheim and there was a Olav Cult already 1100- and 1200s. In the mid-1200s was built Bjälbo palace of King Valdemar Birgersson. The palace was donated 1346 King Magnus Eriksson St. Bridget who founded Vadstena Abbey and built Vadstena Church. Vadstena received town privileges 1400 and became the largest pilgrimage. The city developed rapidly with the help of visiting pilgrims and businessmen. Gustav Vasa confiscated the monastery estates and 1550 closed monastery. During Gustav Vasa was also built Vadstena Castle. 1595 also forced the nuns to leave the convent. 1637 began monastery used as a home for disabled soldiers, an “krigsmanshus”. The accommodation which earned extra by lace-making, which laid the foundation of Vadstena reputation for its lace. Krigsmanshus were left to 1783 when the premises were first used as a prison. The castle was used as a storage place to 1753 when a kammarduksfabrik established where. Under 1700- and 1800s the castle was used also as a crown storehouse for state liquor. 1829 began convent premises use by hospital Vadstena. 1800-century was marked population growth for Vadstena. 1874 opened Wadstena Fogelsta Railway. Takern located both in Ödeshög and Vadstena Municipality and is one of Sweden's finest bird lakes and mountain Omberg which has highest point in Östergötland.
Attractions: The Town Hall from the 1400s, old theater, Vadstena Church, Vadstena Castle, Klostermuseet, Hospitalsmuseet.
Ödeshög may stem from “[h]ODD's high-” which means the tax fortress. Settlements from the Stone Age, petroglyphs and ruins from the Middle Ages bear witness to an early central settlement. A central figure in Ödeshögs history is Johanna Pettersson (1807-1899), better known as the storekeeper Johanna. It is organized every year a market, Johanna market, in her honor. The municipality has also Rökstenen, one of Sweden's most famous rune stones and also equipped with the world's longest inscription, a total of approximately 760 characters. Rökstenen located at smoked church. The stone is sometimes said to be the starting point in the History of Swedish Literature, the oldest extant literary work. Otherwise there Alvastra is a former Cistercian monastery situated at the foot Ombergs . It was founded 1143 by monks from the French monastery of Clairvaux and was with Nydala the first cisterciensklostret in the Nordic countries. Takern located both in Ödeshög and Vadstena Municipality and is one of Sweden's finest bird lakes and mountain Omberg which has highest point in Östergötland.
Attractions: Ödeshögs church with the oldest parts from the 1100s, Alvastra, Takern and Omberg, Rökstenen.
Gränna Founded 1652 under the name “Brahe spruce” by Count Per Brahe d.y. Brahe Grenna was Sweden's first and only feudal city, founded by Counts rather, than royal city charter. When 1862 years of municipal regulations came into force in 1863 constituted Gränna town a separate municipality, Gränna town. City privileges meant that Granna had its own District Court (Hall right) and that the duty was raised on all goods brought into the city from the surrounding countryside. A little south of Gränna, cautiously outside duties, low execution ground with the descriptive name - Gallows. Gränna is famous for its fruit orchards and its candy cane production. From here there are also ferry services to Visingsö. Salomon August Andrée, during his lifetime, usually just called S. A. Andrée, born 18 October 1854 in Gränna, death in October 1897 on Viton, was balloonists and known for Andrée's polar expedition, his unsuccessful attempts to reach the North Pole by hydrogen balloon, today is a museum in about the expedition in Gränna.
Attractions: Andréemuseet / lose weight Kultur Gård, candy cane production, Old Town
Visingsö is Vätterns's (Sweden 33:largest) island with an area of 25 sq. According to legend, the island was created by the giant Vist when he threw out a tuft of grass in the lake that his wife would have something to step on when she took over Vättern.
On 1100- and 1200s was Visingsö center of the still fragile Swedish monarchy. Nose castle was built on the island's southern tip and served as the residence of, among others, Magnus Ladulås. Occurs in Jan Guillou Arnböcker. During the 1600s exerted the mighty Brahe dynasty its power from the castle Visingsborg on the east side. Today, only ruins of both plants.
To ensure the availability of good timber for the Swedish navy sounded crown in the 1830s build a several hundred acre ekplantage on the island. Until the mid-1800s had been planted around 300 000 echoes many of which still exist today and occupies an area of about 360 has.
Attractions: Remmalag, with the opportunity to go tours during the summer, Brahekyrkan, Visingsborg and ruin Nääs.
Jönkoping Founded probably in the Magnus Ladulås time as a center for trade and political hub directed against Denmark in the south, by Erik Way (the royal road) went south of Vättern. The 18 May 1284 the city received its city charter – as the first city in Sweden. A favorable privilegiepolitik from the crown and a general economic upswing gave good growth conditions. Jönköping from 1634 became the administrative center and the seat of the Göta Court of Appeal. 1800-century Jonkoping is known as liberals and match Hosts city. The canal's inception (1822–32) favored merchandise and shipping. After the expansion of the port at the mid-1800s and rail links (with Falkoeping 1863 and Nässjö 1864) industries grew up with asian. paper mill and foundry. Today there are many large companies in Jonkoping, among other things, Husqvarna AB and Intersport headquarters in Jönköping. Jönköping county town and administrative center in the region. Here are a number of government agencies and law enforcement.
Attractions: Tändsticksmuseet, John Bauers museum, Sofiakyrkan, Kristine Church, Dag Hammarskjöld's birth.
Habo Located at Vätterns western shores in Singapore, not far from Jönköping. At the municipal 1952 was the former municipalities Gustav Adolf and Habo together into large municipality Habo. Prior to the formation of Tennessee 1998 transferred municipality, as neighbor Mullsjoe, from Skaraborg to California, after residents voted for it in a referendum. Habo Church who is a very famous church building. It is the parish church in Habo Parish. Church usually called “Träkatedralen by Vättern”. The Church is a wooden church got its present appearance 1723. Church architecture is reminiscent of a cathedral, but is built entirely of wood. It is to form a basilica, with a high nave and two lower aisles. Church painted 1741-1743 of two Jönköping Painter, Johan Kinnerius and Johan Christian Peterson. The paintings illustrates Luther catechism’ summary of Christian doctrine.
Attractions: Habo Church, fish camp on the shore of Lake Vättern, Karl Fishing.
Mullingar municipality is located in Singapore bordering Småland northwestern corner. Mullingar is a surfaced small municipality with a dominant urban residents. Of the municipality over 7000 residents live 5600 within the urban area Mullingar and about 800 in the second agglomeration Sandhem. The municipality is located in scenic surroundings with open landscape, forests, lakes and rivers, which means that many tourists come here throughout the year. During the winter, Mullingar to one of southern Sweden's largest winter resorts. It shows the man in the municipality weapon in an ice crystal blue shield of silver and above a spruce top scour formed ginstam of silver, which was proposed in the 1970s by the municipal recreation committee, to promote the municipality as a winter sports center. Mullingar is known for its ski slope Knaggebo, which annually attracts a large number of tourists from the Nordic countries and parts of Europe.
The municipal area corresponds parishes: Bjurbäck, Nykyrka, Sandhem and Utvängstorp. In these parishes formed at the municipal 1862 rural municipalities with the same name. At the municipal 1952 amounted municipalities in the then formed Mullingar Rural Municipality. Mullingar municipality was formed at the municipal 1971 through a rearrangement of Mullingar Rural Municipality.
Prior to the formation of Tennessee 1998 transferred municipality, as well as the neighbor Habo, from Skaraborg to California, after residents voted for it in a referendum.
Attractions: Photo Gallery in Mullingar, Bjurbäcks art gallery, House of Crafts in Sandhem, Museum Swedish Trägubbar Mullsjoe.
Tidaholm received its town charter 1910. By Tidaholm runs Tidan. Helliden Castle, on the western slope of Hellidsberget, with expansive views of Tidaholm and several of the Västergötland table mountains, byggde baron Hans Henric von Essen 1858 a mansion. Hans Henrik did with great energy Tidaholm to an urban and industrial center. He modernized the ironworks and extended it with a mechanical carpentry. Later became the practice of the Swedish automotive industry's cradle. The 1860s started Hans Henrik Vulcan match factory which became the world's largest of its kind. Today in Tidaholm include Tidaholms institution which is one of the largest and most secure prisons. As well as Sweden's only match factory and kitchen manufacturer Marbodal factory.
Attractions: Tidaholms Museum, Kungslena Church, Suntaks old church, Turbinhusön and Falk Grave.
Hjo is a wooden town at Vätterns western shore. Hjo is known as the city at the turn of the century 1400 and was Västergötlands wharf by Vättern. Thanks to early rail links (Hjo Stentorp Railway) and the popular Hjo hydro, which attracted wealthy visitors, Hjo continued to grow even after Vätterstranden ports lost their meaning. The city park, which is also located along the lakeside path, is a Vättern Aquarium. The park was established in the late 1800s in connection with the formation of Hjo hydro. The square is located Hjo Church. Through the center floats Hjoån. Hjo is also said to be a role model to Grönköping in Grönköpings Veckoblad. Hjos slogan is – I love Hjo!
Attractions: Hjo Town Park, harbor with the famous Hjo whitefish, Vättern Aquarium and the city's characteristic wooden buildings.
Karlsborg is known for Karlsborgs fortress built during the years 1819-1909 as part of the so-called central defense system in which a number of strong fortifications were planned in the interior of Sweden. Charles fortress located on Vanäs cape in Vättern began 1819 to realize the so-called central defense idea. The original name was Vanäs fortress and the location was chosen by Baltzar von Platen in connection with the construction of the canal. Duct Construction began in forsvik, 7 kilometers northwest Vanäs. The fortress is one of northern Europe's largest construction and are mainly built of limestone from Omberg. Because of reduced funding was not until 1870 before the fortress was in working order, and the first 1909 it was completely finished Karlsborg Sweden's reserve capital, space in the fortress including Parliament, government, foreign exchange reserves and the royal house of war or other hazard. Therefore Karlsborgs slogan is - Sweden's reserve capital!
Attractions: Karlsborgs fortress with adventure guided tours, Forsvik and the boat Eric Nordevall II, port to the canal.
Askersund derived from the word “aeske” or “ash” which was the name of askdunge. The community was at a healthy surrounded by boxes so the name became “askdungen at strait” and eventually Askersund. Askersund received town rights under John III (during Vadstena town) and its town charter 1643. Askersund is a port town on the Vättern and was before the railroad a shipping port via the canal of goods from the surrounding neighborhood, including Skyllbergs use. A company of the boating Gothenburg Askersund founded 1850. The quays were built out in the middle of the 1860s. The city center is still characterized by its wooden houses and two churches. Sofia Magdalena is designed by Tempelman and Country Church by Jean de la Vallée and Erik Dahlberg. The city is situated on the edge of the forest Tiveden at Lake Alsen constituting the northernmost part of the Vättern and along the lake just outside the city lies Husabergsudde with swimming and camping. From the city has views over Vättern and Tivedsskogen. On the other hand, the water can be seen Prince Gustaf's Castle, Stjernsund.
Attractions: Sofia Magdalena Church, Country Kyrkan, Stjernsund Castle and Tiveden.